Banner

Travel Trailers
to Mobile Homes

In a large and scenic country characterized by the westward movement of its restless population, the concepts of mobility and camping loomed large in the popular imagination. Soon after automobiles began to roll off assembly lines they were followed by appendages in the form of travel trailers, small units with permanently attached wheels generally used for camping.

Larger units intended to be used as dwellings for several months or more in one location came to be known as house trailers. The original focus of this form of housing was its mobility, and units were initially marketed primarily to persons whose lifestyle was necessarily mobile, such as construction workers. . However, largely beginning in the 1950s, mobile homes, as they came to be known, began to be marketed primarily as an inexpensive form of housing designed to be set up and left in a location for long periods of time or even permanently installed with a masonry foundation. The introduction of the 10-foot wide mobile home in 1956 (previously, units had been eight feet or less in width) helped solidify the line between mobile homes and house or travel trailers, as the larger, wider units required the services of a professional trucking company to transport, and could no longer be moved with an automobile.